Dear Summit Public Schools Community,
The District has been notified of four COVID-19 cases: two at Summit High School, one at Lawton C. Johnson Summit Middle School, and one at Brayton Elementary School. Our Nursing Department, in collaboration with the Department of Health, conducted contact tracing for these cases. Potential close contacts at the High School have been identified and notified. Health officials did not recommend closing any of the schools. Please continue to follow these protocols:
- Symptom and temperature checks must be done each morning before sending your child to school. Visit our Virtual Health Office for a list of COVID-19 symptoms.
- If your child is sick, please keep them at home and contact your healthcare provider.
- Please visit our Nurses’ Virtual Health Office to report an illness.
- As per the Department of Health, if an individual is experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, the individual must stay home and quarantine for 10 days unless a negative COVID-19 test is provided.
- In addition, all household members of the individual must quarantine for 14 days. This means that family members of an individual with COVID-19 symptoms should quarantine for 14 days or until the ill individual receives a negative test for COVID-19.
- If your child tests positive for COVID-19, immediately contact the building principal, school nurse, and email@example.com if notifying after school hours.
- Any travel outside of NJ, NY, CT, DE, and PA, requires some level of quarantine. Travelers may get tested with a viral COVID-19 test 3-5 days after the trip. A negative result still requires a 7 day quarantine. If travelers do not get tested, a self-quarantine for 10 days is required.
- Please avoid large social gatherings and small gatherings where individuals are not wearing masks or distancing properly.
Continued diligence from every Summit family is critical in our ability to prevent school closures. We thank everyone in advance for following these mitigation measures in an effort to keep our staff and students safe and our schools open. We will continue to communicate in an open and transparent manner, while respecting confidentiality. Thank you for your ongoing patience, cooperation, and trust as we continue to navigate through these circumstances together.
Scott D. Hough
Superintendent of Schools
Dr. Cheryl Moretz
Principal, Brayton School Principal
Dr. Donna Gallo
Principal, Summit High School